With cold weather in the forecast, we wanted to share a few tips on how to keep your pipes from freezing.
- Make sure to set your thermostat to at least 55 F. The lower the temperature of your home, the more likely your pipes will freeze. Also, keep your thermostat at the same temperature during the day and at night.
- Insulate any exposed pipes with insulation materials. Some materials that you could use would be pipe sleeves, heat tape, foam rubber, etc..
- Open any cabinets that contain exposed pipes to allow warm air from your home to circulate around the pipes.
- Allow water faucets to drip. This helps relieve some pressure in the pipes and can prevent them from bursting.
- Seal any cracks in the foundation or outside walls to prevent the cold air from coming into your house.
- Finally, make sure to locate all shut-off valves. If a pipe does happen to burst you are then able to quickly turn off the water.
Remember to never use any type of electrical appliance or equipment in standing water.